somerset | Markleton, PA Mile 50
Across the bridge and downstream from the local post office was the site of the Markleton Sanitarium, built first as a mountain resort reachable by rail and later used as a restorative clinic for tuberculosis patients. For a short time it housed German prisoners of war. It was destroyed by fire in 1903 and its foundation is still noticeable at ground level. Markleton was once the site of the world’s largest wood pulp mill which closed in 1893. Much of the pulp was shipped to a paper mill in West Newton. (GAP Mile 113).
For more information visit: